“Our hobbies are bird watching and astronomy so, if you know of a great birding spot or dark sky site in an area we are visiting please let us know.”
I thought it might be helpful if you knew where we’re planning to go so that you could make those suggestions.
Although this is the itinerary today it can change due to weather, whim, serendipity and suggestions from blog readers. As we expect changes, I will try to post a monthly itinerary at the beginning of each month.
· Early - Southern California desert – El Centro, Salton Sea and Yuma, AZ.
· Late - Montana Owners.Com circle at Quartzsite.
· Most southern part of California desert - Salton Sea, Anza-Borrego and Yuma area.
· Drift east maybe Organ Pipe National Monument, Tucson area.
· Maybe Gypsy Journal Rally in Casa Grande, AZ.
· Southeastern Arizona
· Sierra Vista,
· Kartchner Caverns,
· Ramsey's Canyon and other birding spots
· Start heading north; stop at Sedona area
· Stop in Flagstaff to see: Grand Canyon, Lowell Observatory, Meteor Crater, and Petrified Forest.
· Monument Valley
· Utah desert National Parks – Arches, Canyonlands, etc.
· Continue north depending on the weather maybe stop in at Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks.
· Mid-May cross into Canada from Montana continue north on the east side of the Rockies. Depending on weather maybe stop in at Banff and Jasper.
· Arrive in Dawson Creek, BC (beginning of the Alaska Highway early June)
· Dawson Creek to Whitehorse, Yukon in whatever time it takes.
· Side trip to Skagway, Alaska
· Whitehorse to Dawson City, Yukon (center of 1898 Klondike gold rush)
· Dawson City, Yukon to Tok, Alaska, decision on taking the Top of the World Highway or back tracking to Whitehorse will depend on the weather.
June, July, August
· Central Alaska loop counter-clockwise
· Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Whittier, Homer, Seward or Seward, Homer, Anchorage, Valdez, Tok
· Tok to Hyder, Alaska via the Cassiar Hwy.
· Hyder to Prince George, BC
Late September –Early October
· Prince George, BC to Aurora, Illinois via Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba
Tim you have been warned, we are on our way to visit. :-)
· Aurora, Illinois to Livingston, Texas
November – December
Along the way we plan to visit every wildlife refuge we can find, go birding every day, and do astronomy wherever there is a good night sky.